Merry Christmas – some useful advice for a happy, healthy holiday
Published: 19 December 2014 | Categories: Campaigns
Nottingham North and East Clinical Commissioning Group would like to wish you a very happy, healthy Christmas.
It’s such a hectic time of year that it’s easy to forget some important things, so here’s a few reminders..
- Your regular medication. Get prepared for Christmas and order this week – most practices need at least 48 hours’ notice for repeat prescriptions
- If you need to see a doctor and your surgery is closed then call 111 – open 24 hours and can help you find the right service for your need.
- Make sure your medicine cabinet is stocked and check the sell by dates.
- Pharmacists are great! They can give expert advice on Winter nasties such as coughs, colds, sore throats, aches and pains, as well as healthy eating and stopping smoking.
EMAS – the East Midlands Ambulance Service also has this advice…
Each winter the mix of freezing temperatures, icy roads, festive get-togethers and a hint of overindulgence leads to dramatic increase in 999 calls for East Midlands Ambulance Service. Below are some tips to help you stay safe and well this winter.
• Protect yourself, your family and your friends by having the flu jab #flufighterface
• Plan ahead – get your repeat prescriptions sorted before the holidays
• Take your regular medication with you if you visit family or friends
• Keep warm to prevent colds, flu & serious conditions such as heart attack, stroke or depression. Remember to look out for older neighbours or relatives to make sure they are safe and well
• Access free medical advice via NHS telephone 111, pharmacy, out-of-hours GP service, or by visiting an urgent care or walk-in centre for minor illness or injury
You can get more health tips from NHS Choices at www.nhs.uk and to keep up to date with EMAS news, follow us on Twitter @EMASengagement or visit http://www.emas.nhs.uk/about-us/emas-news
NHS Choices has lots of information about staying safe and healthy this Winter.