Take care of yourself and your NHS will take care of you…
Rather than visit their GP, most people can take care of themselves when they have common symptoms such as sore throats, coughs etc. This is called self care.
Pharmacists can help you to look after yourself. They can also advise you on over the counter medicines.
If your symptoms carry on longer than is normal for a minor illness then make an appointment at your GP Practice.
Why self care?
Expert advice to support you
Pharmacists can offer expert advice on a wide range of illnesses and you don’t need to make an appointment. Your consultation will be confidential and discreet.
Save yourself time
There’s no need to wait for a GP appointment – a lot of pharmacies are open late and at the weekend.
Save your GP time
Choosing to self care can free up more GP time so they can spend more time with patients with more complex conditions.
Save the NHS money
In 2015, practices across the South Nottinghamshire area (excluding Nottingham City), spent £1,966,265 on prescribing over the counter medicines. Many of these items are low cost and available from the pharmacist, and some are even available from your local shops and supermarkets.
The money spent on those prescriptions, for minor illnesses, could be spent on treating more serious conditions or developing life-saving treatments.
Download our self care leaflet.
The following minor illnesses can be treated effectively and safely using over the counter medicines.
- Aches and pains
- Athlete’s foot
- Cold sores
- Coughs and colds
- Mild dry skin
- Ear wax
- Conditions which require food substitutes or supplementation without clear clinical need
- Fungal nail infections
- Fungal skin infections – ringworm
- Hayfever and allergies
- Headache and migraine
- Head lice
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Piles (haemorrhoids)
- Skin rashes including nappy rash
- Sore throat
- Upset stomach
- Other skin complaints including acne, sun protection, birthmarks, facial hair, bruising, tattoos, sweating
- Teething & toothache
- Travel medicines including travel sickness
- Vaginal thrush
- Varicose veins
- Conditions which require vitamin, health supplements for prevention of deficiency including complimentary medicines.