Gedling residents to benefit from weekend health hub from 2015
More than 60,000 people in the Nottingham North and East area will soon be able to access GP help and advice at the weekend thanks to a successful bid to the Prime Minister’s Challenge Fund.
The Prime Ministers Challenge Fund was created in a response to patients who said that they wanted improved access to General Practice services. Nottingham North and East CCG were part of a Nottinghamshire and Nottingham City-wide bid to improve patient access to GPs.
Nottingham North and East CCG has been awarded funding to enable us to provide more out-of-hours services through the development of a community health hub.
The hub, which is scheduled to open in April 2015, aims to give patients weekend access to health services from one location and will be somewhere people can access non-emergency healthcare services in their own community at a time that suits them.
The service will initially be available to patients from nine practices across Arnold, Gedling, Netherfield, Carlton and Colwick.
As part of the roll-out of this enhanced out-of-hours system, patients from two local practices will have better access to same day appointments from September 2014.
The benefits to patients are:
- Improved access to urgent/same day GP appointments
- Improved patient confidence in accessing GP services, which will reduce the number of patients using the emergency services for non-emergencies
- Improved access and length of time of appointment for patients with complex needs
- Better integrated care in the community outside of hospital, reducing the amount of time people spend unnecessarily in hospital
- Increased proportion of older people living independently at home following discharge from hospital.
Dr Paul Oliver, local GP and CCG Clinical lead says: “We’re delighted that our bid was successful. This funding will have a big impact on how local people access health care services, particularly when it comes to same day appointments, out-of-hours services and integrated care.”
Nottingham North and East CCG is already funding a new prescribing nurse at Park House Medical Centre to support the same day appointments service as the roll out begins across the area.